Many studies have shown that speaking a foreign language improves the functionality of the brain and is a great asset to the cognitive process. The skill of speaking a different language challenges the functionality of your brain and children who study foreign languages can perform better in Maths, Reading and Vocabulary tests.
In their most recent Languages for the Future report in 2017, the British Council listed the following as the most important languages for the UK’s prosperity: Spanish, Mandarin, French, Arabic, German, Italian, Dutch, Portugese, Japanese and Russian.
We are well placed at Le Hérisson School to offer an immersive French and English bilingual education. Our staff working in the Bilingual Early Years benefit from the expertise of our French teachers across the school to assist both French speaking and non-French speaking children to acquire another language.
For more information on bilingual learning you may find the following websites and articles useful:
- The Daily Telegraph – The best languages to learn for future job opportunities.
- CBI – Education and Skills Annual Report 2018 – Educating for the Modern World.
- British Council – English for kids and teens
- Family Corner – Is speaking to babies in two different languages confusing them?
- National Literacy Trust – Understanding bilingualism in the early years
- The Daily Telegraph – Why learn a foreign language? The benefits of bilingualism.